It was a bright shiny day. Temperature was as high as 33 degree celcius with moist and no winds. Everyone had marks of sweat on their shirts around the armpits and the necks. The sun wasn't being shy at all. And the clouds were away as if they were afraid of the sun.
Working in an air conditioned room was no fun when you had to go outside where the sun would shine so bright. It was probably the hottest, moistest day in Jakarta and nobody would argue. Nobody could complain either. It would always be like that from day to day, except when it was raining, and that's no fun either.
I had to go out the building and walked to the next building for a blind date. Damn! why did I make the appointment at lunch. Even though I sprayed the entire bottle of forever spring deodorant to my suit, I still smell like the bloody street fumes of Jakarta. I smell like the sun. Damn! I am sweating like shit. There went my make up.
Walking down the pavement next to the traffic jam, under the sun, wearing complete business suit, and sweating all the way was not exactly my idea of the perfect first date - especially with someone that I had just known over the phone. But then again, my friends told me it was always best to meet your blind date at lunch time, so if you didn’t like him you could get rid of him instantly with no pain. ‘Sorry gotta go, gotta go back to work. See you again sometime’.
'Let’s see, we’re supposed to meet at the cosy Japanese buffet in this building, oh Thank GOD for the air conditioned building. I have to find the rest room to fix myself. Lucky I brought all my make up and body spray with me'.
The Japanese restaurant was supposed to be on the 35th floor. I think I should go there earlier without letting him know that I was already there. I wanted to take a good look at him first before deciding if he actually worth the effort. 'Shit! I forgot my credit card! It’s in my other wallet. I don’t have cash! I have to take out money… Where’s the ATM? ATM…? ATM? Oh God how stupid! Oh there’s an ATM!!'
'Ok. Got money, fixed my make up, sprayed more of forever spring deodorant…, damn, I must now smell like a fragrance shop. Now I can chill. Calm down. Deep breath. Looking fine. My hair is a bit messy, wait let me just fix it a bit. Ok great. Ready'.
'35th floor. I’m hungry. I think I’ll pass the buffet and just order some tempura. Walk straight. There’s the reception'.
“Hi, I am here for an appointment with Arzie Zimbo, I think he made reservation”. “Oh, no reservation under that name? Are you sure?”
“Well, the restaurant is not full, do you have any free seats for two?” Good.
They gave me the seat next to the window. Jakarta looked beautiful from this height. It was bright and shining, but the fume from the congested cars in traffic jams was very apparent. I ordered fresh drink. It was still 12:30 PM, I told my boss that I have an appointment with a client. So I can probably stay here until 2 PM. If everything goes well of course.
'Where is he? It’s 1 PM and he’s not here. He’s supposed to be here sooner. Oh wait, let me check my phone, maybe he called… where is it…? I knew I had to bring my phone. Shit! Shit! Shit! Shit! Shit! I forgot!!! What is wrong with my head??!! Of course...!! I forgot to bring my phone!!! I remembered my make up and body spray, but I forgot my credit cards and phone!!, I guess it doesn’t take a genius to figure that out. How stupid!!'
'1:15 PM. Still no signs of him. I have to make a phone call to the office. Check if my desk mate had heard if my cell phone was ringing'.
“Waiter! Waiter!” “Do you know if there’s any phone nearby?... No?” “Are there any public phone in the building? What..? You don’t know? Are there any phones outside? What? Maybe?!?!” “Oh, never mind..!” “Hey don’t go yet, I will have to make a phone call first, can you reserve my table?” “Ok.. Ok.. I’ll pay first for the drink. Here’s 20.000, it’s enough right!”
'Damn! Waiters are so useless. Not helpful at all. Oh there’s a public phone. Oh shit! This one is not working! Maybe that one... Ok, this one is working. Hmm… let’s see… Pasha’s number is…?? Damn! what is her number? Oh I’ll just call my office desk then'.
'Good, Pasha picked up. My office policy is to never let a phone ring more than 3 times'. “Hi Pash, could you please check my cell phone. It’s in my drawer. See if there’s any missed call. Ok I’ll wait”
“No missed call? SMS? No???” “Ok, thanks then”
“No..., no everything is fine. I just forgot my phone and credit cards” “I will…” Shit! the time ran out. I have no more coins. NEVER MIND.
'I guess I will just have to go back there and wait. I’m sweating again. My make up is still fine. I still smell fine. Ok. Back to 35th floor then'.
“Hi, yes I’m here again” “Can you please check if someone with the name Arzie Zimbo is already here?” “You don’t know?” “Well, can’t you take a guess?”
“I’m sorry maam, but we don’t have our customers’ names unless they make reservations. And if you look around there is not one man sitting alone waiting for his appointment to come”
I looked around; there are 5 businessmen in one table, 3 people sitting on the corner, two couples on different tables at the other side of the restaurant, 3 more businesspeople on this side, but not one man sitting alone. I hate it when a restaurant receptionist became so smart. You guys are not supposed to be smart!
“Well, I will take a seat then, and.. by the window please..!” It’s now 1:30 PM. I guess I would wait another half hour or so before going back to the office. 'How can someone be so late? Well, this IS Jakarta. Nothing and nobody is on time. But I think this is bad. Really-really bad. Nobody is this late for a date even in Jakarta'.
2:00 PM. My second glass, and almost finished. I didn’t order any food. I guess I wasn't so hungry anymore. I drank so much I needed to take a leak. 'Hmmm… should I wait for him any longer? I think I will have to go. I can’t leave the office this long'.
Paid my bill at the receptionist desk. There’s the smartass receptionist girl. “Hi, yeah, I was just wondering… Did you by any chance see a man coming here asking for a girl named Shanty?”
“No?” “Did you see any man coming in here at all?” “Oh never mind…!”
“Oh by any chance, can you show me where the toilet is?” “Thanks”
Back in the office. Not a word about being stood up to Pasha. She thought everything went well. Not a single missed call on my phone. Not even a freaking SMS. 'Well, the next time he called, maybe I’d suggest that we have lunch again. All by ourselves!'
'Wait, let me call him. I just want to know what the fucker had to say after he ditched a girl who went all through all the shit just to meet him. He’s not picking up. He’s not freaking picking up his phone!!! How rude!!!'
9.30 PM. Just got home. Tired and upset. Took off my shoes, and lie down on the couch watching TV. Not even the energy to wash my face and change.
My cell phone was ringing. IT WAS FROM HIM!
“Hello”
“Hi Shanty, I’m so sorry about the lunch. I was out on a client’s meeting the whole morning, and thought I would make it on time to our lunch date, but I got stuck in a traffic jam. There was a demonstration at Bunderan Hotel Indonesia. Very crowded.”
“You could have called to cancel it”
“Yes, I am really-really sorry. The thing is, I forgot to bring my cell phone with me. I left it at home. And I couldn’t get out of the car to find public phones. I was stuck in the traffic jam until three. I was late coming back to the office. Luckily my boss understood, and he wasn’t mad at all”.
“You could have called me from your office”
“True, it’s true. But… well.. I know this sounds so stupid… but I forgot your cell phone number. Your number is on my cell phone. And I don’t know your office phone so I couldn’t get in touch with you” “I hope you’re not mad at me. Were you waiting for a long time? Oh poor thing, I will make it up to you, how about lunch tomorrow? I will pick you up so you don’t have to walk under the sun. I know it’s hot”
“Well, I don’t know…”
“Oh come on, please let me make it up to you, how about 12:30 tomorrow? I will pick you up”
“Ummm… well, how about this… Why don’t I give you a call tomorrow and see if I can get out of the office? I will have to tell my boss that I have another lunch with another client. I can’t be late coming back to the office two days in a row without good reasons.” “How about that?” I said with a lazy voice.
“Well, I guess it’s ok. Promise to call me tomorrow? I will bring my cell phone tomorrow. It’s not a regular thing for me to forget my cell phone at home.”
I think I can picture him grinning when he said that…
“Ok then, I’ll call you tomorrow. I have to go. I am tired and need to sleep” I pretended a yawn.
“Ok sweetie, sleep well then, see you tomorrow”
“See you”
You’re damn right I won’t call him. And he hasn’t got a clue!
Monday, July 25, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment