Thursday, April 05, 2007

Foolish.. ;-)

I couldn’t help to pose a smile whenever I remembered how stupid I became when in love. The corny stuff I said, the silly things I did, the icky thoughts I had. Where to begin? Oh yes, the nicknames to call each other: honey, sweetie, pumpkin, muffins, sweet pea, handsome, hihihi… Indonesians also have loads of these. From ‘yayang’ which resembles 'dear' or ‘honey’; ‘cin’ which is short for ‘love’; ‘abang’ which literally means brother but kinda kinky. Oh gosh…

Then the punch lines I used by picking up a title from a song, like ‘I miss you when you’re gone’; ‘I’ll be there for you’; ‘With every beat of my heart’; ‘I’m so in love with you’ hahahah… scary.

And eventhough the two of us had just come back from a date, and the fact that we had just seen each other for the whole freakin day, didn’t stop us from texting each other after the date - and still calling each other after he arrived home safely. Sometimes only to say: Hi honey, I had a great time, have a good night and sleep tight sweetie.

The seemingly sweet gestures like searching for that ‘perfect’ birthday present, and the way we would try to outdo each other in showing the gesture, could also be silly. I had to twist my brains out before each birthday. Some superstitious people warned me, that if I didn’t want to break up with my boyfriend, I shouldn’t give them perfumes or scarves or handkerchiefs, which of course would be the easiest choice, and I still did anyway despite the warnings. They turned out to be true since I did break up with them…hahahahah… And I figured, the boyfriends must have had some troubles in finding me a birthday present as well, that somehow they too chose the easiest shortcuts: flowers or teddy bears… ;-)

Once, I ran out of ideas that I only gave him a poem… written in a handmade card of which I decorated myself… hahahaha… how cheap! Of course I thought, what would be more perfect than a poem? I’m good at writing them ;-).

The silliest things don’t stop there though. Once, my office mate told me, that she always tried to avoid giving her partner ‘things with sharp edges’ as presents – like scissors, knives, or nail cutters - because they too could break a relationship. One would surely wonder who on earth would ever thought giving things with sharp edges as birthday presents…, but these things do come as presents, like that handy Swiss Army knife for the adventurous types.

And mixed tapes! Mixed tapes have got to be the winner of birthday presents. There once the time when CD burners had not yet existed and people still recorded songs from cassette recorders. I have had my share of creating mixed tapes myself, from finding the songs, pressing the play or stop button at the right time, adjusting the volume, hihihi… a whole day spent to produce the ‘perfect’ gift.

Must say though, silly or corny as they may seem, I’d still do them if it involved the guy I really-really like ;-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey girl how you doing? laila here.

glad u put another post...i am kinda addicted to them by now..it's my little guilty pleasure when i need a break at work ;) really enjoyed reading the last 2 posts...u r funny ! and eys i wud be the one to give knives as gifts as j is obsessed with knives (ok i know i sound freaky now :P)