Wednesday, May 02, 2007

My "favorite" awkward moments

Everybody must have experienced this at least once. Come on…, nobody’s that lucky to not even have one awkward moment in their lives. As about me, I have plenty (hey, they didn’t nominate me as a jinx princess for no reason!). These are the moments when you wished the earth would swallow you right then, because the awkwardness would kill you slower. As a person with high propensity to please people (HPTPP), I seemed to manage adding excitements into my awkward moments. You’ll see in a sec what I’m talking about.

Awkward moment no.1: meeting the good guy friend to whom I confessed my love – of which he rejected – one day after the confession.
Our whole conversation during that "after confession" encounter, portrayed our biggest efforts to avoid bringing up the subject. Picture him and me as really-close-friends before the confession. And then, picture him and me trying to still be really-close-friends after the confession. One word: awkward.

Awkward moment no.2: meeting one of your good friends and her guy in the mall, having this kind of conversation:

Me: Hey… how are you?? Wow! How far along are you?? I didn’t know you guys are married!

Her: What? I’m not pregnant! We’re not even married!

There were a few things that were SO wrong in my statement to her. First of all, I thought she was pregnant! Which was similar to saying: “Hey, you’ve gained a few more pounds!”. Secondly, seeing her roaming the mall with her guy, gaining a few pounds and all… I assumed that she had married him! Thirdly, how could I call myself a good friend when I didn't even know whether she was married or not!

To assume = to make an ASS of U and Me.

Awkward moment no.3: the elevator trap.
I have been avoiding one girl with whom I had very trust-unworthy experience. She happens to be a good friend of a good friend of mine (see if you can catch that phrase...hehe), and she happens to work in the same building as I am. After the "experience", I never replied to her messages, somewhat hoping that she would just get it and go away. She got it.

The problem was, lately, I have had a "feeling" that something awkward would happen one of these days. And alas, my feeling was right. As I was waiting for the elevator to grab some lunch downstairs, Ding! the elevator door opened, and Bam! there she was, standing in the elevator.

My first instinct was to turn away, and wait for the next elevator door to open. But that would be extremely rude. So I went in and said hi. We exchanged chit-chats – very unimportant awkward chit-chats. Before getting off the elevator she asked: “hey, we should go for drinks sometime”. And me, with my HPTPP syndrome, cheerfully replied: “yeah, let’s!”. And her, with somewhat surprised look, replied: “really? you’d like to?”
Not being able to say anything, I patted her in the back and smiled.

Awkward moment no.4: meeting your blind date without safety net.
Well, my friend introduced me to this guy. She thought: this and that, blah-di-blah-di-blah, so why not hook them up?
So, him and me went online, we chat, exchanged slight details blah, blah, blah… until one day, we set a ‘moment’ to meet each other up. Now, if there was one thing I should learn from the whole set-up dates: expectations were harsh, they would throw you flat down from the sky.

Being the usual ever-hopeful girl, I made myself believe that this could be it. Plus, the buttery remarks from my friend about him have made me think that way... hahahaha… boy, was I naïve.
Because, at the moment when I saw him, I almost left him out there waiting for me! But that would be really rude. So I met him up anyway, trying so hard to look casual so he wouldn’t think I was interested. But I was too stupid to have invited him to see my place, before that date. He took up that invitation, and I could no longer say NO (remember, HPTPP syndrome, people!). Of course, any guy would take it the wrong way - being invited to a girl's place on the first date. A few days later, thinking that I was actually interested, he called me several times in just one hour!!, of which, I ignored.

Girls, let me remind you one thing: If you’re about to go on a blind date with a person that, of course, you don’t know that well -- never, ever, go to the date without safety net. Plan an escape route – a polite one, of course. Just in case. Juuust in case.

Awkward moment no. 5: the "never put your secret crush stories on your blog" trap.
Well, this one was a bit old news. But it was kinda awkward, since I was still working next to this crush guy at that time. So he asked me about my blog, and I forwarded him the link. And I didn’t really know if he realized it, I think he did, but there were some stories about him that were too obvious – even a blind man would see them! After that, I had to act extremely casual to him, so he wouldn’t take it the wrong way. Well, my bad.

There were many more – and I’m sure there will be many more. For this time, I would have to rest at these. Besides, I have shared with you my favorite ones ;-).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

huahahahahhahahahha...terutama yang nomer 5: HUAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH...si jerapah yak?

The Sushi Hunter said...

eh harusnya cerita TN itu gw masukin sini ya mak... hahahahaha

Anonymous said...

huehehhe gdubrak..bener..bener...:)

Anonymous said...

Great stories and awkward momnets. I admire your audacity to share them! Have a great day and don't forget to keep publishing those 'moments'! :-) aussie gal